Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Making a Grid, and Bridging Elements

Grid - Bridging Assignment

The idea in this first class assignment was to work with grids; and to cut an image (or two) into squares, and to link common elements with each other in a grid. 


This first exercise took some time, and was a bit frustrating. I first printed out 4 different possible (digital) photos I had taken (shown, above right). The first image I tried was a combination of the two images on top -- one in the upper left had significant areas of dark space. The dark "blobs" became a problem, and blending the two different images became difficult. I also chose two relatively abstract photos to start this exercise with; and I began to think that choosing a representational image with more details (that would have become an abstract in this grid exercise) would have been a smarter idea.

So, after shuffling squares around, I went back to using just one image -- the warm-toned orangeish abstract photo with some yellow highlights and lines (upper right in top image). After I pared down the number of squares (eliminating more plain squares), I concentrated on those with most interesting details/lines.  I finally came up with a more minimal grid (second image shown at right) that I thought was more acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment