Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Making a Random Grid


Random Grid Assignment

I found this exercise to be much easier than the first grid exercise (bridged elements). This was almost fun, to see what a random pattern would look like. Learning from the first exercise, this time instead of an overly monochromatic abstract, I picked a political cartoon (probably a watercolor) from The New Yorker magazine (shown below). I liked the range of colors and details, and picking the "right" image to start with also made the exercise results (also shown below) more satisfying.

The only thing I would have changed was not including part of a white border around the illustration. When cut up and mounted on a white background, the white strips look like "missing" areas or like these particular squares are smaller or more rectangular than the rest of the 1.5" squares.

I also constructed my own grid matrix with black Sharpie pen to make placement of these squares easier. That took some time, but was quite helpful. Having the whole thing on top of a lightbox, with the grid underneath, might have been even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment